Thursday, January 31, 2008

Michael J. Totten: The Final Mission, Part I

This is more excellent reporting from the Man. I love to see how things in Iraq are getting continuously better, despite the Leftist and Media slander.

Michael J. Totten: The Final Mission, Part I: "I can see why there are only 250 Marines in the city. Fallujah really isn't a war zone anymore. It seems like the Marines really should be able to leave once the local government and the Iraqi Police get their act together. Many say that would rather go to Afghanistan where they can still “get some.”

A minority of Marines, however, think this is naive wishful thinking.

“None of the bad guys dares to take a shot at us because they know it's a death sentence if they do,” one of them said. “But they'll go after the Iraqi Police once we pull out.”

“As soon as we leave, it's going to pop off again,” said another.

There is no way they can know that is true. It is just a gut feeling based on what they've seen and what they've heard, and it's the minority viewpoint. But a gloomy Army soldier I met last summer in Baghdad said something so simple, depressing, and obviously correct that I doubt I will ever forget it.

“Iraq will always be Iraq,” he said as he shook his head and stared at his feet."

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Google Search

Google