Monday, April 02, 2007

Man Jailed for Having Deadly TB

I pity this poor guy, but I also understand the Health Departments worries! I would hate to have to lock someone like this up, but he literally has killer breath. Usually that is just an expression. The miracle is that he is still alive after all this time.

I do not see many alternatives for the county. Anything this guy touches has to be burned to prevent the infection from spreading. What alternatives do they have?


FOXNews.com - Man Jailed for Having Deadly TB - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News: "Behind the county hospital's tall cinderblock walls, a 27-year-old tuberculosis patient sits in a jail cell equipped with a ventilation system that keeps germs from escaping.

Robert Daniels has been locked up indefinitely, perhaps for the rest of his life, since last July. But he has not been charged with a crime. Instead, he suffers from an extensively drug-resistant strain of tuberculosis, or XDR-TB. It is considered virtually untreatable.

County health authorities obtained a court order to lock him up as a danger to the public because he failed to take precautions to avoid infecting others. Specifically, he said he did not heed doctors' instructions to wear a mask in public.

'I'm being treated worse than an inmate,' Daniels said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press last month. 'I'm all alone. Four walls. Even the door to my room has been locked. I haven't seen my reflection in months.'"

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Google Search

Google